Here are the most common applications of Bluetooth technology :
• Controlling communication between a mobile phone and a hands-free wireless headset.
• Creation of a network between PC in a confined space and where little bandwidth is required.
• Wireless communication between PC and output devices, such as mouse, keyboard and printer.
• Transfer of files between devices with OBEX (communication protocol).
• Replacement of traditional wired communication series (medical equipment, bar code scanners and control devices).
• Two seventh-generation game consoles, Nintendo Wii and PlayStation 3 from Sony uses Bluetooth to their wireless controllers.
• Access to internet on PC or PDA using a compatible mobile phone.
Bluetooth is an open system, so there may be security risks. Nowadays a lot of mobile phones and other devices include Bluetooth. Today data are sent invisibly from one device to another and from one person to the other. These data, in the form of email, photos, contacts, addresses must be sent securely.
Bluetooth wireless technology has focused on security since its inception.
The Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG) is a group of security experts.
It includes engineers, companies that provide critical security and requirements information for the Bluetooth wireless specification evolves. Developers who use this technology in their products have 3 modes for implementing security :
• Security Mode 1 : unsecure.
• Security Mode 2 : security applied at the service level.
• Security Mode 3 : security applied at the connection level.
The manufacturer of each product determines its security modes. For devices, there are two levels :
• Trust device.
• Unreliable unit.
A trusted device has already been paired with one of your other devices and has unlimited access to all services.
Services have three levels of security :
• Services that require authentication and authorization.
• Services that require authentication only.
• Services that are open to all devices.
BlueTooth 5 is more powerful and turns more to the applications of the Internet of things.
Bluetooth 5 (GIS) still promises a multiplication by 4 of the scope, important point to meet the needs of the sensors of the IoT and home automation, and a doubling of rates. Especially, the standard is changing its operation to adapt to modes of communication and the multiplication of the sensors. Bluetooth keeps what made its success, namely its low energy consumption.
With 8.2 billion of products shipping Bluetooth wireless connectivity, and pending the deployment of more than 370 million tags Bluetooth by 2020, the standard so prepare these new uses.
The Bluetooth SIG also shows its strength as a promotion group in announcing the 30 000 members in his organization providing certification and interoperability of new products.